View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for responding. You have a lot of voluble information which is well organized and well presented for anyone who is visiting Florida.

Yes, I think I just go to the site in Pompano and figure things out as I go. I see that due to previous complaints kiteboarders are careful about not creating any disturbances at the beach. It is good to know that we visitors don’t make a bad reputation for local kiters. In NW we usually don’t have to deal with people at the beach. Our rivers and ocean are too cold for “hanging out” – so not too many beach goers. We have a different issue. The sport exploded in the last two years and there are too many of us who are beginners. So beginners and experienced kiters have to find ways of kiting together in a limited space.

In terms of the wind range for my kites. I like to ride overpowered (probably it is due to lack of technique). I have been on my 7m in gust up to 35 miles/hr (or may be even more, our winds are not very stable for most of the time, so we go from being overpowered to almost nothing at times). I don’t like to ride 5m even when the wind is very strong – 5m is rather temperamental. With 13m I have been anywhere from 11miles/hr to probably 20-22. I am not very sure about the upper range (it might be less or may be more), because sometime I start when the wind is very light and then in a couple of hours the wind picks up, but I am too lazy to rig up a smaller kite, so I usually just keep riding overpowered.

Rick, I am assuming you are in Keys. If the conditions are too challenging in Pompano, I would probably try other places. I am not sure if I will make it to Keys, if I do, I will look for you. Thank you for being so welcoming.