View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Bruno sent these images around. I was down in Key West for the paddleboard competition and just learned of the posting of signs last night on the way home.

We have been warned so many times, too few of us tried to self-police. We were told months back the site would be posted. It would have been outstanding if the deputies had done more policing themselves but we were told early that likely would not happen. It was left up to us. Many areas around the state don't have problems like this. There may be lower numbers or more likely local riders self-police, something we need to do routinely.

We met with the authorities many times including a number of times within the last year. A reasonable set of rules were worked out posted here and in other places on the Internet. I am two counties away so I hope riders pushed it at the beach where it counts the most. This result suggests that we didn't work at it effectively enough.

Preserving access shouldn't be that hard. Usually there are a very few rules needed to do this. If we ignore our responsibility of helping to keep things going we can only blame ourselves in the end. In an ideal world someone else should take care of this, but it isn't that way and many of us knew this.

So, pull together to try to preserve what little is left in Miami or drive to a managed concession. Other areas more to the north and south should take note. Keeping things going shouldn't be that hard but you need to go at it as a group.

In many areas in SE Florida but not all, the MAIN thing needed is to KITE OUTSIDE THE SWIM ZONE BUOYS!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-16-2011 at 08:51 AM.