View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
I once spent a gusty day on the beach watching kiteboarders getting yarded, and I began trying to conceptualize the psyche of the rider that willingly goes out in conditions that are catastrophic.
I started to think about cigarette smokers who are heavily addicted, but can only rarely get a cigarette. It helped someone like me visualize the "take as much as you can, when you can" attitude that most kiteboarders emplore. I broke it down like this:

Addiction creates cravings, cravings create uncertainty, uncertainty creates obsession, obsession creates overconsumption, overconsumption ultimately creates death

I hope your all enlightened, and if not, please ignore my rant :mrgreen:

Good points Brenden.

I think guys that ride in squalls may fall into three areas. The first and apparently most common is comprised of people that really aren't aware of just how dangerous these storms can be. I encounter this fairly often.

The second involves riders who may be more aware of the hazard but blow off the risk denying that harm will ever come to them, because ... not sure why. It is a numbers game, lots of people can do ill advised things and only a percentage will get spanked or worse, killed.

The last involves riders who should know the hazard, may have been injured already in excessively gusty weather, who try to use technique as a counter. Compared to the first group, they are way ahead, as well as compared to the second group too. Then again, gear fails, particularly under peak loading such as in storms. If your timing is off, or if the storm misses some key cue, then what? Also, just how much can you do if a 60 kt. plus gust is served up say from 20 kts.?

When, it comes to squalls, BIG holes or areas of clear air beyond the disturbance are worth looking for. Once the storm and poor conditions start to move in, the smart money packs it in, early. Just like golfing in a lightning storm, you won't necessarily be struck, the odds just go way up. Heavy weather's moving in, anyone for the links?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi