View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Pro-active approach to save our access.

Alot has been weighing on my mind lately about the future of our sport. It seems that we are constantly under fire not only here, around Florida, but everywhere. We have all been in a situation where someone is trying to handle a kite and they just don't know what they are doing. Many don't say anything in fear of confrontation, and some get right in there and preach lessons, and how damaging they are to themselves and others around them.

Our sport faces alot of problems, and there are no easy answers.

I would like to propose an idea that I have been brewing and it came to a head the other day in the shop. Had a fireman and his wife wanting to buy gear. Both John and I told him we wouldn't sell him anything until he got lessons. It was very confrontational as he just wasn't having it. He wanted a kite and felt the research he has done was sufficient. Long story short, I got so frustrated with this guys ignorance, that I basically turned him off and he walked out.

Bottom line is there are many like him. We have seen them out there, and there are more waiting in the wings. We can't stop it. This fireman is going to get gear, it just won't be from us. And if its not him, it will be someone else on another day.

So what's the point of this story.....we need to arm these folks that don't listen at least with info that might keep them out of trouble. It would be cool if we see guys/girls like this out there, or just plain interested in the sport to have something to give them that has a bunch of info on it. A letter, if you will, from the Tampa Bay kiteboarding community pleading the case of how important lessons and training is and that there actions are jeapordizing our access, their safety, and the safety of others. This letter will also contain important websites that already exist regarding launch locations, schools in the area, restrictions that exist, links to websites to inform newbs about kitesurfing, DVD instructional materials, and anything else you guys can think of to put on there.

I think you can share my frustration of confronting someone, not getting through, and then both parties walking away with nothing accomplished. At least arm them with the info and something to read and think about in a non-confrontational setting. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but I think we have to step up our approach to these folks that are ignorant and potentially dangerous. Maybe getting this info will send them on an exploration that might get them to realize how much actually goes into this and quite possible might change their mind to "do the right thing".

I envision a one page handout that we could put in a PDF format. Once all the info is there, it could be a sticky on the forum for any of us to access and make copies to keep in the car. Someone inquires about the sport, give them a copy. You see someone that clearly doesn't know what they are doing, have a chat and then give them a copy.

Think about it, you can preach lessons till your blue in the face, but if they have in there mind that there just not taking them, then you have accomplished nothing. At least with this letter, you can give them some tools that just might keep them a little more out of trouble than they would have been without the info. Keep them confined to areas that won't effect our access as much.

Ok, enough from me. What do you think????

Looking forward to your thoughts, feedback, suggestions, and criticisms.

Sincerely,
Steve-O