View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Skyway Scott

I imagine it's tough having Tiger tail as your local launch, Enrique.
We have a moderately similar situation here at North Beach within Ft. Desoto (with much less kiting visitors). A few years ago we lost access to NB due to a similar occurrence. Infringing on bird nesting activities was stated as the primary concern and cause for the action, although several complaints from park visitors about the kiting stunts witnessed (jumping over park visitors who were swimming) didn't help.

The local windsurfers got a lawyer and regained limited access for us (because they too, may have lost privileges at NB).
We now have access to restricted areas. We use to ride "wherever". The rangers become more vigilant as bird nesting increases, and prefer we stay south of that swimming area and avoid NB altogether at certain times.

In the past this has brought up conversations about 'rights' and responsibilities within parks and at other launches.
All I know is that environmental issues are taken very seriously within parks, especially in sensitive areas such as bird sanctuaries. (I worked seven years as a marine research scientist, working closely with state and federal parks).
I also know, from experience, that not all kiters are interested in "following rules".
After all, isn't kiting about breaking all the rules? (rhetorical)

And lastly, if you speak out, you will tend to be on your own, even if others are in agreement with what you say.
(That's all I will say this year about it)

Image courtesy of Brian Eagle. http://www.tampabaykiteboarding.com/...aunchsites.htm

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.