View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Cabrina Bow Kite Self Launch Question

I have a question to anyone with experience in self launching a bow kite - specifically a Cabrinha bow kite.

I have finally started getting comfortable in the waves so instead of driving out to Matheson or Crandon, I have been riding behind my apt building on Miami Beach. The problem is that I often ride alone and am forced to self launch and land. I am fortunate to live right on a wide rarely populated area of beach so the conditions for a self launch are ideal but I still have yet to perfect it. I usually use the "sand bag" method which is described in detail in an article written by Paul Menta on page 89 of Kiteboarding Magazine - 11/06. (Although I usually attach my Chicken Loop to a fixed post on the beach instead of the sandbag).

I just found this video on you tube of someone self launching an Ozone Instinct in a really easy way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAMj-K1W8Q

My question is: Does anyone know if it is safe to launch a Cabrinha Contra Bow in the same manner that is demostrated in this video? Has anyone tried this before? Also, is there a safe way to self land a bow kite without affixing your chicken loop to a sand bag or fixed object?