View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM

Default Florida Kiteboading Community?????

I have been a member of this forum for many years now and have some important questions for you folks.

My name is Steve Visnage and I have been teaching kiteboarding in the Tampa Bay area since 2006.

With a new baby in the house, I have decided not to pursue teaching lessons any more. Haven't taught a lesson since the New Year and don't know if I will ever teach again.

So these questions come more as the perspective of a rider and not an instructor.

There is a percentage of kiters out there that are concerned about access and the future of the sport. I fall into this category.

Years ago I rallied alot of kiters here in the Tampa Bay area to form the North County Kiteboarding Community. The mission of this group was to perserve access for kiteboarding in North Pinellas County. We created ride maps, developed relationships with govt officials, and presented publicy via Facebook a page with all this information and basic kiteboarding safety guidelines.

I see a need for this community of concerned kiters to spread beyond the reach of north Pinellas county. I think it's safe to say that every spot in Florida could use some basic guidelines, ride maps, and liasons that can develop working relationships with govt officials.

If you have read this far....ask yourself these important questions

1. Does your local spot have some basic guidelines for everyone to follow?
2. Are these guidelines written somewhere publicy for everyone to see?
3. Does your local spot have a clear ride map defining where to rig, where to ride, and more importantly where not to ride?
4. If an issue were to occur at your local spot, do you have a way to communicate quickly and solve problems before they get out of hand?

We decided that maps and guidelines can't be enforced, however, at least they are in writing and out there for anyone to see. It also shows gov't officials that govern our riding spots that an attempt has been made to have some sort of order and that the actions of one does not represent the group as a whole. We felt this alone can go along way in fighting a ban on kiting when one individual tries to screw it up for the group.

In addition in forming this group, we decided to keep it very informal and all members are defined as volunteers. This protects oneself against any liability. That was a concern in the forming of this group, and a lawyer advised us be "volunteers" as state and federal laws protect volunteers in liability cases.

Is there an interest out there to take this concept to all corners of the state? There is strength in numbers when dealing with issues regarding access.

Florida is a play ground for this sport and we owe it to ourselves and future generations to protect what is left. Kiteboarding is growing, and beaches aren't getting any larger.

I'm looking for interested individuals in different parts of the state that share common ideals regarding kiteboarding access.

Every organization started somewhere and I am hoping this thread could be the start of the Florida Kiteboarding Community. One large voice with the sole mission of preserving kiteboaring access for many years to come.

Take a look at the NCKC Facebook page and you will get a better idea of what I am talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334398226575261/

Feel free to message me with questions, ideas, or your willingness to push this ball down the mountain.

Steve Visnage