View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Jules,

As for Kiteboarding the Lake Worth area. You are correct it is the ocean. We really don't have any "Lake" ICWW (IntraCostal Water Way) areas to kite. There is one small section directly west of Boynton Inlet, But it's tight and critical. it's the only flat water in the area (best to avoid actually, as enticing as it may look) if you get hit by a lull or a gust and miss getting back to the (small beach) it's hard to find a place to exit the water. There are oyster encrusted pilings and seawalls EVERYWHERE. I've kited there and had a few episodes, I haven't been back since.

Now on to Lake Worth and the areas South:

Lake Worth Beach has a north and south side (of the pier) The South side can be kited all day (providing theres wind) as long as you stay outside of the guarded area, You'll notice the sign posted on the beach. The North side can be kited up untill 9am ( when the guards come on duty) and then again after 5:30pm (once the guards leave)
Lake Worth's beach is fairly narrow, Not the best place to kite. But definalty do'able.

Boynton Inlet:
Theres a North side (North of the inlet) GR8 place to kite on a SE wind, Fairly large beach ( except theres a HUGE drop off there currently ) just check the launch,landing area due to debris. This beach gets pretty nasty with trash ( I know it's a shame )

The South side (Mouth of the inlet and futher south) can be pure paradise on a NE wind. The Jetty cuts down the surface chop and on an outgoing tide there's usally decent wave that will hold up against the tide. Flat water with swell= Paradise IMO

Hammock Park (just north of Boynton Public Beach) free parking and a HUGE beach. This would be the most user friendly beach in the area. Untill perhaps you get down to Delray Beach.

Only thing to watch out for here is the Public beach to the south, Just stay outside the bouys between 9-5 (guarded hours) and you should have no problems, This is also the most likely area to encounter other kiters.

Hope the info helps :wink: