View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 PM

I got a sandburn on the side of my leg when I was a newbie, transitioning near the beach while diving the kite, and taking a knee on the sand.(Feet still in straps) I had a HUGE scab the size of a slice of pizza for quite a while after that stupid move.I learned to stay away from the beach that day!

Shallow water will hurt you quick also. Ask Toby's hand..... All he did was brace his fall in shallow water, and slicccceeeee.....5 stitches. I have ran aground in the shallows by the Skyway and jammed my shoulder, putiing me off the water for about 2 months ,and no stylin' for about 4.East beach and Skyway get dangerously shallow quite regularly.

Another safety recomendation,especially for greenies, is a Slingshot Surefire spreader bar. One slap on the QR button and you are free!(plus the spinning leash is nice) If I know I am about to get worked, I hit the release and throw the bar.(no unhooking required). I havent gotten yoked since I got it. All of the above mentioned kiters could have benefitted from one of these, instead of dragging across the beach.

None of us are getting any younger, and we should all spend time stretching before and after a good session, and at home as much as possible. Dr. Joeseph Will (Chiro Joe) is a chiropractor as well as an IKO instructor. He has written a nice 40 page booklet(covering all muscle groups), on stretching/preventing kiting related injuries. Contact Chiro Joe at: QUIROPREGUNTAS@yahoo.com to order a booklet($7.50) or to ask him questions. Booklets also available through the IKO.

Use common sense, and live to kite another day!