View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here is something for stylin' water goers everywhere, a look back at water drag. People want to look good, some more than others. The curious part is what may be deemed to be too cool for school will likely gag later generations. Interestingly enough, fashion doesn't demand function, in fact it may throw facility under the bus as you will see below.

Images from: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/b...6.photogallery (lots more there too)

This has to be my favorite of the collection. Perceived function overwhelms fashion, actually opens a can of whoop ass on it, fairly mugging style. This 1875 concept reportedly rendered the wearer unsinkable and comes with a marking buoy to prove it. They didn't have fins but did come with those nifty hand paddles that doubled for shovels at all you can eat buffets. I can see this taking off with kite pants crazed kiteboarders or perhaps spandex togged free divers.

I have a theory about these bathing costumes, they in fact might have been intended to do away with the wearer. Imagine body surfing in one of these or trying to get out of a rip.

Now remember, this lady, I think it is a lady, was deemed hot 111 years ago. Bears keeping in mind with some of the off the wall gear out there today.

1909 was no stranger than other years, even today.

Stripes were big at times over the years as in 1915. Even Greg Knoll liked zebra baggies in the 1960s

We could use these 1929 creations today, not as portable dressing tents but as traction aids in stronger wind.

1950's, getting smaller but sloooowly!

Bettie Page modeling something more acceptable in present day terms which may have been deemed over the top back in 1955 when it was photographed.

Jayne Mansfield digging dirt and styling at the same time at her manse back in the day.

1960's, almost here but not quite.

1960, ahead of its time. Just 20 or 30 more years and you'll be there.

No way they wore these in 1972?

Not sure but this could be Ginger off Gilligans Island being fingered by her suit in 1975.

2002 and things are looking more normal ... for now. Nothing as constant as change.

There are about 90 images at the link above of water wear through the years.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-03-2011 at 03:03 PM.