View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Hey kitemom,

Thanks for posting an update, and sharing your experience and concerns as a parent. I am sure that I can speak for many fellow kiters - we were all concerned for your son and were hoping for the best. The description of his accident is enough to make any kiter shudder. I'm glad that he's on his feet and healthy...others have been less lucky.

Helmets are a good idea, but unless it's mandated, most people will not wear one. I will admit that I do not wear one for my own personal reasons, but I would never discourage someone from wearing one. Other safety gear is a good idea as well: impact vest, booties, knife....

Perhaps just as important is to understand the inherent risks associated with any location or the weather conditions at hand. Weather quality, kiter skill level, kite gear, riding environement all play big roles in the risk factor sof riding and everyone needs to carefully evaluate before choosing to ride. Often we become over eager, or perhaps complacent...that's when a lot of accidents happen. As an instructor I try to stress this part of the learning process and hope my precautions ring loudly in my students ears for years to come. I think we all need to press the safety concerns for the good of the sport. I believe that people can continue to push the envelope hard AND be safe at the same time.

I try to read every safety thread on this forum and other forums. Rick Iossi has dedicated a lot of effort and has done a great job to contribute so much data in this respect. I hope everyone will take the time to read and learn from these reports. Do not think it cannot happen to you...if you arent careful and make bad judgement calls...the choice you make one day may be magnified into a disaster by a single gust of wind, a big wave catching you off guard, a malfunction of gear, etc.

good luck to your son and your family and hope to see him out riding again.

ride safe everyone
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas