View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

*** BEFORE NORMAL COMMENTS like what an idiot, how avoidable, we know better ... take a HARD LOOK at these photos. Also, consider the dozens of lost kiters over the years and in this year alone. TOO MANY KITERS ROUTINELY IGNORE HAZARDOUS WEATHER, apparently worldwide.

A waterspout with many (way too many) kiters apparently riding around it with indifference in Italy recently. One kiter continued until he was apparently picked up and lofted 400 m inland into a house. Another kite was lofted into the front end of a car, largely destroying it, but survived with serious injuries. A third kiter alone was lofted but managed to Emergency Depower, escaping without injury.

The waterspout is closer, better formed and yet riders are still close by, having fun apparently oblivious of the hazard.

This squall was located close to the current accident only about two months in the past. I understand it resembles the squall that led to the current accident. In fairness, that squall was still way out to sea and not close to the racing kiters despite appearance. I had watched that squall approach for 45 minutes and elected to ride several miles side weather away from the path of the cumulonimbus cloud. I stopped, prepared to Emergency Depower and looked back. I saw about 10 to 20 kiters free riding with kites flying vanish into the rain curtain of the squall, apparently unconcerned of the hazards. Some had their kites near the vertical waiting ... to be lofted? Winds reportedly gusted to only 25 to 30 mph in that area then totally died stranding guys offshore. They hardly increased where I was. No one was hurt this time.

I recall five kiters being lofted simultaneously in a squall here on C kites some years back. I think most sent their kites into the trees. None were badly hurt by luck, yet what have we learned?

Reportedly a rider was late to come in land and secure with this roll cloud moving in to Brouwersdamn, Netherlands about a month ago. He suffered serious injury as a result. Still more severe injury at Strand Horst in the Netherlands in recent time due to a squall.

Kiters have been killed by squalls in Mexico and South Africa in recent months as well. There been many other accidents worldwide and for years in squalls.

From these accidents, incidents and numerous fatalities and severe injuries over the years directly related to squalls, it seems as a community, we are too indifferent or oblivious to squall/storm hazards for our own good, that of our families, bystanders, automobiles, etc. and our sport. Such incidents and accidents seem to be trending up.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-18-2009 at 03:37 PM.