View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 01:01 PM

I'm still sore, but walking....my right quad and my left foot....yeow!! Othewise I'm fine. I feel a lot better today but I got to say that I was crippled yesterday. I screwed up the start and couldn't clear the pier so had to tack back to starting line and try again...after third time and taking many crushing waves I got out and felt better. The guys in front of me (I started #5 at front) kept falling and crashing and it messed me up. I'm sure others toward back had same problem (but bigger) so I can't really complain. But I was twenty minutes behind the leaders at least and that was only about 1/2 mile into the race. Not a good way to start 60 miles. I was exhausted though and my camel pack was all wrapped around my neck/harness/whatever so i just cruised offshore for an hour or so recovering (and not gaining on anyone)... Then I stopped and after nearly drowning myself getting it sorted out and got going again....anyways:
I'm pissed at myself for not getting down in the shore break more and going fast. Instead i stayed too far offshore for too long and dealt with all that nasty chop....If I had a board leash and helmet and just stayed in the "froth" I would have easily knocked a lot of time off...But those two items (leash and helmet) are new to me and I'll have to go that way if I'm going to be confident close to shore.
At the Delray checkpoint I came in and picked off about 5 guys cause no-one seemed to know where to go. Fortunately I saw the Best flag and got in, cleared, and continued fast south. I stayed in-shore hauling a$$ and felt fine like that. Totally good!! The lifeguard stands loomed ahead and then I went back offshore again and stayed out too long. At least I finished and beat some people but I wan't proud of myself. It wasn't as crazy as the last run we did back in mid-november and back then I did stay in the break longer.
I promise myself that I am going to learn to stay closer to shore and deal with the breakers. Damien gave me some good points at Treasure Trove afterparty and I will follow his advice next time.
The 60 mile thing?? long way....I don't know if I'll be up for it again now that I've done it twice...but you never know!! This is such an awesome sport and I so fricking love it. I'll probably just keep trying to improve cause I've only been kiting for two years and I think I'll be doing it for a long time...so can't predict...anxious to see the actual results and times...
also...Thank You Neil for all your hard work!! also for making me feel like a hero at the finish!! I couldn't even ride goofy back to shore as my right leg (quad) was destroyed. I mean I made it but it wasn't pretty. Neil was nothing but high 5's and praise and it made all the pain worth it! Nice to meet Rick I as well and see some old friends who also were around coming from windsurfers to kites!!!