View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 PM

Hello Ricky,I have just read the post re. kiteboarding in Key West and need to let you know that the info posted is totaly wrong.Check in at tropical watersports is not required,as far as all of the locals know ,no one at tropical watersports can even,or does kite except Adriaan who started this year and has been away in hood river for the last few months. Thus no one even knows how to launch a kite never mind give advice on the safety aspects of the sport. I have nothing against Tropical watersports,but we do not allow anyone to kit in front of their setup and nor do any of us kite there. The reasons for this are that they are right in the middle of Smathers beach where there are lots of bathers,a volleyball net and the powerlines, as well as generally crowded beach conditions.All kiting is done at the Eastern end of Smathers,where the powerlines stop.If anyone wants to kite here they are welcome, however kiters must be of intermediate level, or have done instruction through a qualified person or school. Beginners are not allowed to kite in onshore conditions due to the obvious danger from the powerlines and other obstructions.North East winds are also no good for kiting as this is side ofshore and the wind comes over the airport and is very "dirty" making it very difficult to launch and ride. Anyone needing more info on Key West is more than welcome to call me at 305 923 9618,and I will be happy to help them and introduce them to the other kiters down here. Greg.