View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The night before we saw the guys paddle into some waves around sunset. Well a new day is on and the waves are still running. Let's see what the guys from Key West got into. Click on the photo for a full sized image.

Paul throws in some Maori Kapa Haka into his standup. It helps your balance, seriously!

Note the bend in the paddle, don't try this with plastic!

Easing the paddle back to rudder into the falls. Paul tells me that when you drop into a really big one, the board lets out a pretty loud boom.

Paul slides into a wave. I would ask that you bear with me on the video clips. I have been lazy in shooting a ton of video stock but have only recently started to look into editing. So, apologies for some of the clips that are drowned in breaking waves and tumbling cameras. Hopefully, that part will be yanked out soon enough.

Jessie strokes by. Jessie was on Pedro's board from yesterday. At about 9 ft. long and 28 inches wide it is a sporty standup board with some good turning in waves. At about 190 lbs. it was just a little too sporty for me, being green in standup, particularly in waves. I decided to grab some images and line up something a bit bigger for next time. Aside from having excellent surfing board skills already, Jessie at 145 lbs. found quite a bit of flotation and stability in this same board. At points he was turning 360's on the board and doing a headstand, amazing! Moral, size counts, weight too in board selection and skill!

Jessie grabs one and rides it in

Speaking of Pedro, here he is paddling in on a nice one with a regular surfboard.

Heading out. The standup guys would generally paddle back out through the inner surf zone kneeling on their boards using the paddle. Once they were outside the initial breaker zone they would standup and continue to work their way out to where the bigger waves form. A clip of this appears below.

Dropping into a wave. When the wave starts to break the offshore wind rips the spray up and over the back.

My apologies for the water spots on the images. I've very little time in the water shooting riders, at least above the water. Need to get some Rainex and a lens chammie I think.

Some of these waves were good sized as illustrated in this shot

Pedro takes off on a wave, the photographer gets dunked, Jessie paddles into another one and the photographer, camera and viewers all get thrown into the spin cycle. This one definitely needs editing with the spinning UW sequence getting yanked out. Just checkout the first half of the clip if you like.

So long for this session. When the waves are on, I suspect Paul and crew will be back. Until then, there is also kiting to be done on the Flats of Key West and no end of standup runs to be had.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by admin; 05-11-2007 at 04:30 AM.