View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldlndfirefghtr
Rick,

Thanks for all the insight, very helpfully as always. Here is one I'll throw at ya. After getting some initial training/feel for a foil trainer (1 - 3 meters), whats the down side to say getting a 3 -5 meter "full version" kite, example is the BEST Waroo 3 or 5 meter, and using it as a trainer also, before moving up to a larger kite, more suitable for your individual area/riding conditions. Will one of these smaller "full version" kites be able to fly in lighter winds that a person may be practicing in. Would it be too much to substitute as a trainer kite (inclined to think it would). Of course the inital cost is going to be much more.

Thanks
I wouldn't bother with a small flat kite yet. Your goal for starters should be training and to pick the best kites for that initial application. I would consider getting a flat kite for your first full sized traction kite for kitesurfing but wouldn't waste the money on a small one.

You shouldn't even consider going out in winds that would suit a 5 m flat kite anytime soon, a year, more? Those are some pretty high winds and appropriate for an advanced intermediate or stronger rider, if even then. A used 5 m four line C kite will serve you well for training once you have moved on from a foil training kite. It will also cost a lot less than a flat kite.

I would save the real money for purchase for when you are ready for a full sized kiteboarding kite.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi