Thread: Updates
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Default Update from meetings

Hey Kiters, We are having extraordinary luck with the access issue in Sarasota. Our efforts have been well received and because of o the outstanding track record that we have, built over the last 12 years of uneventful (somewhat) kiting on Sarasota Beaches, we are being heard and listened to by County Administrators. Hurrah!

As of Friday we were informed that an amended draft will propose the following restrictions on Kiteboarding on Sarasota County Beaches:

1. 200' margin to either side of the swim zone off limits to kiters

2. Kites give way to pedestrians and swimmers always

3. Kites launched and landed (they are using the word deployed) away from pedestrians and bird nesting areas
(these regulations and the wording are going through the County Attorney's office and are being weighed in on by Fish and Wildlife and Audubon) but the Parks Superintendent said that he thinks they will not be changed. Environmental Laws and regs to be noted in regs

ARE WE GOOD WITH THIS? ARE YOU KIDDING?

To some extent this was worked out because we immediately conceded that Landboarding, which was only practiced by 3 guys here anyway----------and they were more than willing to give it up for the greater good------------ was immediately conceded: it is to be banned You just can't make an argument that this is cool on the beach in Sarasota: not for public safety and not for the environmental concerns of the Audubon and Fish and Wildlife Commission.

We have, as a group, Sarasota Kiteboard Coalition.org, joined the Audubon Society of SW Florida to show our support and commitment to their cause and our respect for the endangered nesting and migrating birds.

They are happy to have us on board.

As Rick has pointed out, this is all the easy part of success in maintaining access. The hard part is getting Kiters to do their part and abide by agreements and regs.

A MAJOR, and pivotal part of these negotiations is that I represented to County Parks Staff, who are charged with writing and recommending the regulations, that we, unlike other air sports which are banned at the beach, are able to keep our kites at ground level when launching and landing during the nesting season from April to August.

It is weird, not taking your kite up when you or someone else launches it; but with practice and attention it can become second nature; and it MUST.

Tonight, as I rode at S. Lido I watched, with interest and then sadness as a kiter that is not well known, nor a frequent rider here, repeatedly had his kite fall from the sky, right near the water, then on the beach and finally right next to the bird nesting area. I had a tourist quickly take a picture for me.

We talked a few minutes later and he had no idea about the new procedures but was all over it to get with the program.

A meeting with County Commissioner Jon Thaxton, today (the guy who made the statement that kiteboarding was very, very dangerous not only to the participant to those around; proved to be very positive and promising.

He has a friend who, I know well who bought a kite and taught himself; only he didn't get it that the kite, in the power zone, and the board on your feet directly downwind can be lethal. When push came to shove the weakest link was his ankle. Now, of course he tells his buddy the commissioner that kiting is super dangerous and he's going to stick to windsurfing. This guy, didn't take but a trainer kite lesson and thought he was too cool for school. He doesn't even kite and he nearly got us into deep trouble.

We have appointments with each of the County Commissioners through this week. There is apparently, no strong impetus to create a ban. With education, our history and a local influential advocate we are making enormous progress.

Also, when I telephoned a senior member of our local lifeguards who has all of our 12 years as his experience with us and Kiteboarding, he, when asked if I can count on him to support us; based upon our history of self policing, safety, and cooperation, had only one word as his answer: ABSOLUTELY.

These developments are a tremendous relief to all of us. I had several kiters tell me that if they banned kiteboarding they were going to have to get mental health counselling; others said they would have to move. I was already headed for Maui.

Hopefully all of this is downwind (a coast run) from here on out. Will keep you posted. Thank you all for kiting safely here in the past and in the future.

Looks like we will be seeing you on the water in Sarasota sometime.

Laurel