Thread: August winds
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Scott,

It is a great performer above wind minimums. I was drifting off on which jumps better in the 20 kt. plus range. So far, I have better luck with the Switchblade. The Contra has excelled at the low end on the other hand. Tonight, four of us met up for a light thermal wind downwinder. Sadly, a cold front came along and stole the breeze. Still, we tried and failed!

I got one run in just about the time of the plunge around 6 pm. After that, it really wasn't on. The windgraph doesn't show the frequent 4 kt. or less lulls after this time. If it was close to 8-9 kts. sustained it would have been doable I think, although perhaps not much fun.

I have found that if it is around 11-12 kts. + it is pretty good for cruising around at my weight, 190 lbs. on a 135 cm Float.

Thanks for coming down Michael. We gave it a go. BTW, that was a shelf cloud I saw coming in from the NW, a particularly nasty one. Lots of rain and gusts into the high 30's to 40's I would guess. It has been going on for the last hour in Boca. We'll have to give it a try again!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi