View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Art on the Vandenberg for the next year.

http://www.sportdiver.com/article/ne...nberg-key-west

"Art exhibit attached to Vandenberg
Divers can see 12 oversized images from outside the ship at 93-foot depth

BY MANDY MILES Citizen Staff
mmiles@keysnews.com

The Vandenberg shipwreck off Key West has long been billed as an underwater classroom for the wealth of marine educational lessons to be learned from its placement on the ocean floor. As of Wednesday, the 522-foot former military ship also became an underwater art gallery, as divers finished installing 12 oversized artistic images to the starboard side at a depth of 93 feet.

The digitally layered photographs by Austrian artist Andreas Franke are attached to the ship's weather deck with strong magnets. They are not permanent and do not damage the ship or any marine life, said Capt. Chris Norwood of Florida Straits Diving, who coordinated and oversaw the installation of Franke's "Vandenberg: Life Below the Surface."

Franke, an avid diver and professional photographer, explored the Vandenberg last year and took several photos of the wreck, which rests in 120 feet of water and rises to 55 feet below the surface.

When he returned to Austria and examined his photos, Franke wanted to add life to what he saw as a dead ship, which was sunk as an artificial reef.

"Even though there is so much life, marine life, all over and around it, the shipwreck itself, to me, is a dead thing," Franke said. "But I thought that if I put people on it, then there would again be life on that ship."

His ethereal images contrast the industrial metal of a shipwreck, with flowing human figures performing human activities. A little girl is shown on the weather deck, holding a butterfly net, as if trying to capture some of the fish that are shown in the actual underwater image of the wreck. In another shot, a couple is waltzing inside the ship, and a bartender is pouring a drink for a supposed passenger.

"Fortunately, no one died tragically in this shipwreck," Franke said. "Anyone can interpret the images how they want, but I like to think of the shipwreck as a theater or a stage, with people acting on it."

Once Franke created the composite images, he started thinking how fascinating it would be if they could be displayed on the ship, said Donna Belej, his New York producer who was the project liaison during the planning."

CONTINUED AT:
http://keysnews.com/node/33686

You can see the entire exhibit on the wreck, with a couple of tanks, or you can visit:

(CLICK on image to go to exhibit website)

Some samples from the website appear below:

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-26-2013 at 08:39 AM.