View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Launching directly from a boat in deep water...Always a bit sketchy and I'd look at other options if I were you.

If you have a tender with the boat just go to a "flats" area and get into shallow water.

You can anchor very close to Stiltsville. Anchor your dinghy in shallow water. Pump the kite up. Typically I would anchor the dinghy from the stern while pumping the kite over the bow (so the kite doesnt get all fouled up on the motor), however you need to be careful that you don't swamp the boat if wind or waves increase or you take a big wake from a power boat. You can apply pretty much all these concepts to a jetski as well.

You can use a long line or a second small anchor to tether to the middle of your kite (LE down and facing upwind) about 10-15m downwind of your anchored dinghy (put a float on the line so you can get it easily later). Stand by your dinghy and unwind your lines, then attach the bar to the dinghy and walk the lines out and hook up to kite. Then you can either a) unclip your tether and walk the kite to the edge of the window and set it on a wingtip, then go to the bar and hook in and launch...or b) untether the kite and walk it to where your bar is anchored, hook in and then release the kite to do a drift launch.

Other things to be careful of: tides and currents can push your lines around in undesirable directions; make sure your boat is anchored well - if the wind drags it or the kite powers up and drags it you've got a bummer situation; always better to have a buddy in this situation to assist if necessary. I'd wear booties out there as well.

You can preinflate struts if you like and have room in the dinghy, and you can pre-connect lines but sometimes that backfires on you. As Whitey suggests, anybody assisting needs to know what's going on or you'll likely have a real fubar.

good luck with it
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas