View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
E-Bone

For what it is worth, I went out with Paul back on 12/19/03 or so with Eddie Toy and Jimbo Manning, back when Paul was getting things started down in Key West. We were in a much smaller boat than is being used now and I had just met Paul, so I was nervous about what I was getting into, especially when Paul was surfing that little-ass boat on the crazy waves going in every direction when we were exiting the harbor at Key West.

After we went out a few miles to some flats, however, and rigged and launched our kites in 2-3 feet of water, I relaxed and my entire perspective on kiting changed. We had butter flat water for miles all around in solid 20, with no crowds or obtacles nearby. The following session was amazingly devoid of any negatives, with all the positives kiting has to offer. We just ripped it up for hours on end. Even during heavy gusts, the lack of crowds or obstacles allowed me to enjoy the session without fear (and, yes, we were all on C kites, so that meant something back then).

I've been involved in this sport since 2001, but that late-2003 session remains one of my favorite kiteboarding experiences and epitomizes what I am looking for when I rig a kite, in terms of both conditions and camaraderie.

Boat-based kiting is not just for beginners. Every kiter who wants to know what it feels like to kite away from all of the bullsh*t that now seems to accompany all of the popular riding spots where everyone launches on land, give it a try.

Make the effort to go out by boat with a knowledgeable guide and you will not be disappointed. It will open your eyes to the boat-based kiteboarding opportunities here in Florida, which are presently hidden right under your noses. You won't look at kiteboarding the same way after you charge on a boat, I promise.