View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: NW winds ... where to kite in Miami with no boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller
I see a big NW wind day coming up this Saturday. Where can one kite this winds without a boat. The only place that I can think of (in front of the miami seaquarium) seems to be more for SW-W that NW. Any suggestions .....

I wish I had access to a boat
Hobie Beach, the area just west of the Sea Aquarium may be the best readily accessible prospect for NW winds.

The straight section of Rickenbacker Causeway shown above is more or less aligned east to west. That makes NW winds close to sideshore at Hobie Beach. Unfortunately, the bridge and Brickell Blvd. buildings create some wind shadow not that far away. So, the wind will be gusty here.

NOTE: Hobie Beach is to be shut down to all water access if what was repeated several times in a meeting last year comes to pass. In the meantime, do assisted launches and landings in the shallows as close to the swimming zone bouys as you can get. DO NOT ride near shore and inside the buoys. This really annoys the cops and a number of us have been slammed into cars and wooden posts for the practice already.

http://miamikiteboarding.com/ runs sea taxi out to the flats for about what a dive charter would run if memory serves. It provides a pretty good option to trying to deal with a shoreside launch.

Hope everyone finds some good, useable wind with this cold front. The forecast keeps changing a bit making launch selection involving a road trip variable.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi