View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

We had a memorial paddle out for Lloyd yesterday off his mother's condominium on Hillsboro Mile north of the lighthouse. There was a great turnout, perhaps approaching 125 people. Lloyd was well liked and respected in the waterman community.

A memorial was setup on the sand under a kite with a few shots of Lloyd and friends doing what they love on the ocean.

A good crowd was there already by 5:30 pm and building.
CLICK for full sized image.

Craig and Bryan talk with Skip of Rastaboards

An arrangement in his memory, complete with a beer, to be floated out on one of Lloyd's own SUP boards that he fabricated.

Going down to sea with Greg, Mike and friends

... and the rest of us follow. There is Charlie Mishner standing on the beach who worked with Lloyd for many years in construction.

I borrowed my wife's raceboard to paddle out. Conditions were great with just a bit of weather starting to reach out to the coast from the Everglades in the form of a thermal squall.

A short video clip from offshore complete with solo pelican overflight

A good turnout, words were spoken about Lloyd by his friends.

Family and friends come together

Packet and others grab some rides on small swells after

Lloyds mother, left and wife to the right move back to shore

The squall line eases over casting a strange light over the shore

A kiter even rides out in Lloyd's memory on the light thermals pushed seaward by the squall line. Poetic but the timing isn't so good considering the threatening storm.

Sometimes the squalls bring hazardous violent winds and at other times just direction changes and calm as in this case. The wind shifted offshore around 7:15 pm. You can just make out the kiter way offshore attempting to tack in against a offshore breeze and perhaps trying to sail north out of path of the squall. Craig was talking about paddling out to bring the guy in against the breeze blowing the fellow offshore. Things worked out this time, Lloyd must have been looking out for the guy?

Packing things up, heading home thinking about friends and life.

Lloyd had moved and influenced so many people, I know there were others who would liked to have attended but were unable to make the service. So, next time you're on the water or under it, think about Lloyd and do a session in his memory. I think he would like that.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-22-2011 at 08:04 AM.