View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The contest was delayed due to weather ... too much wind, ha! We know what to with that right?! Anyway, it was held over Memorial Day and Kent fills us in on what went on complete with some great photos from the scene. Can you say "Volatins Sashimi?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
I actually only dove a short while as we were really looking for Tuna. We dive pretty close to the island when it's only the 2 of us as this area is rather dangerous due to strong currents and sharks.

I did see sharks on the South tip of the island and we decided to move. I bet that there are several wrecks around the area as large rocks poke through the surface in many unexpected places.

I'm sure that there are tons of Bulls and Tigers in the area. I even saw a special about Tigers and could clearly see the light house in the back ground. I did speak with one of the 3 groups that do shark dives in Bimini. He indicated that Tigers are really one of the best sharks to dive with as they are predictable and rather slow moving feeders. He commented on the fact that while Bimini has many, many Tigers, they have yet to find a location around Bimini where they can bring in Tigers with out the Bulls. He even does all of this Tiger shark dives off the coast of Grand Bahama as they can bring them in with out the Bull Sharks. Apparently Bulls are not at all predictable and can't be trusted to swim with.

We did get back over to Bimini last weekend for the Lion Fish Smash. The winning boat had 49 fish and a total of 75 were taken in a single day. Most were around the wrecks over the bank, but I found some very large fish under the ledges just South of Bimini. This area was very nice for spearing, but is very, very sharky. We were spread just a bit while drifting from West to East heading toward the bank. Paula stayed a bit behind with the boat while 3 others including myself drifted along with the current toward the bank. I looked up to urge Paula to head our way and saw the boat very near her. The driver said that Paula was over a large Hog and one of us should come back to get it. I was trying to swim back toward Paula, but the current was too strong so the boat quickly picked me up to run toward her. As we were about 20 yards from her she starts screaming that a shark was after her. She had no spears, etc. to fend it off and was on top of the water. As we neared her I could see the shark just next to her and i quickly plucked her from the water. I believe that this area is so heavily speared that they expect to eat when they see divers. This is a bad situation and I'd personally avoid swimming in this area if you are not familiar with how to properly react to "shark inquiries". I explained to Paula that if this happens in the future that she needs to keep her face in the water to keep an eye on the fish. It's generally best to make yourself very large and agressively swim toward the shark. This is usually enough to fend them off (reef sharks).

The more time I spend in the Bahamas, the more I like it. FYI, you can generally fly Bimini Island Air round trip for around $200 and find a place to stay for $100 per night (holds as many as you wish).

Here are a few pics from the Lion Fish Smash... FYI our boat only got 6, but we were really looking for dinner! I think we found it!!!

Enjoy...

The winning boat! 49 fish

Noaa was on hand to study the fish

Careful cleaning... the meat is white and tasted great. i even had lion sushimi

Bimini Sunset:

Small turtle

hunting in the clear water

very large star fish on the bank

killer rainbow

the catch

nice hog and mutton... kite shop miami promo too

transcribed by: