View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 AM

Thanks very much Larry, Roberto and Scott. Very useful information from all of you.

Larry, I certainly like your tip to keep me from rounding up right away. I think I would automatically do that since it felt like I had to to keep good tension on the kite lines. One of the top guys at the spot I ride commented that he thought I wasn't diving the kite aggressively enough to produce the power that I needed to get started and continue riding without sinking back down. When you have taken a few "over-the-handlebars" wipeouts, like I have before, it makes you a little bit leary of diving the kite too aggressively. With a 14 meter kite, there's a fine line between too aggressive and aggressive enough.

Roberto, the Spleene 159 (I am 165 lbs or 75kg) sounds like something I may resort to if I still can't get going on my North Dragon 138, which I will try one more time while forcing myself to dive the kite more aggressively and keeping the board pointed downwind until I have some speed.

By the way, Jeff Hoxtell is a great guy! I spent three days with him. Unfortunately I chose to do it in early February when Mother Nature was not very kind (either nuclear conditions the first afternoon, followed by 0-6 mph conditions, with one day in the 8-12mph range which allowed me to get used to my own kite and his larger board a little bit). I don't think there's a nicer guy to hang with for 3 days. He and his wife made me feel like a close family friend.