View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 PM

the part of the trip that sticks out the most was getting crushed by the surf break...after reading about the other guy I was lucky not to get blown/washed through my lines while under all that water. I probably lost a good half hour screwing around within 7 miles of the start. Then I got timid and stayed beyond the surf break for too long. I have to get my jumps going better so I'll focus on that in the waves off Paracuru next week. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet Toby while there. I definitely need to get more comfortable jumping. I know I don't have to bang 25 feet in vertical...but maybe 8 foot would have got me over those big ass waves. I did do it but it was in more of a full panic mode.

I also loved the fast speed between the breaks when you could ride on the wave faces and crack off a little and just smoke along. I felt pretty comfortable handling the speed and that was encouraging. I've got to check better on my bindings. I didn't feel tight and secure as I would of liked. I don't know if others feel snug in their bindings but I did feel that I had problems holding my feet in expecially when i was in the chop outside of the breakers....

I didn't wear a wetsuit but probably should have. I had a long sleeve rash guard that had a little bit of insulating quality to it. But I do think I picked up a few mini-man-o-war stings. I think next time a full body wetsuit will be better expecially if the water cools off a little. My fingers and hands were turning blue i noticed once i got on shore.

I've only flown a bow kite once before but I guess think that will be the kite to use for distance events. Something about the distance stuff is intriguing to me. I'll never be able to carry the speed of my younger counterparts but I do think that the accomplishment of just going the distance will be reward enough!!