View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Question

I will take full credit for the signs not being installed yet, please keep in mind that since the meeting, I have pretty much been on my own, and I do not have the finances to do this properly. Its not a 10 dollar sign, either, nor a 2.00 tag that will solve our problems. Its building something legitimate and long lasting that doesn't fall apart when the wind starts blowing. It takes the efforts of many, and I am only one person.Startup costs are not cheap, and I have used every extra penny I have to knock out these expenses as I can. My issue isn't time,motivation, dedication, lack of knowledge... its money. I know some have offered assistance, but I can't afford to make a mistake with Uncle Sam in setting up this organization, so I have not pursued it. Old Sambo is kinda picky about taking money before he says its OK. I am trying to balance my existing business,startup kite school, and a non-profit all at once, and make them all work LEGITIMATELY.

Believe me, if I had a fat bank account, this would have been done and in place a LONG time ago and we would be talking about the next great event, what we did to help someone, or what we did to impress the "officials", instead of slinging mud pies back and forth.
I really don't think I have gotten sidetracked by the wind, events, lessons, new gear, or anything else. Some people get excited about the fastest looping kite or the newest light wind boards or whatever- I do not. I get excited about safety, preserving access, and bringing this fine group of locals together as a group. Simply because thats what I know best... I look for solutions, and despite my clownish forum games, I think my posts have shown that, and offered some darn good solutions.
Something else I would like to say is that I have tried to find ways to make this FREE foreveryone and will continue to do so. That has been something VERY IMPORTANT to me and I don't know why. This sport has an average income of probably 60,000+, with kiters spending 2-3000 a year on new gear, so why do I bother? Because I dont want to be accused of ripping someone off or seem like I am trying to make a quick buck off of fellow kiters.If I did, I would be charging top dollar for a lesson and force feeding kites to newbies.

Signs and tags are the best idea presented so far, if you want something else, please figure it out.

There are many launches that could use signs, and the ARE ways to get them installed by working with the "officials", but getting on the same page is first. I don't think signs and tags will immediately solve ANYTHING, especially in the Gulf, but at least is shows an effort to unite.
I have other ideas to contribute,on keeping hot doggers out of the swim zones.
It has nothing to do with forums and calling out, but it does require unity as a group, just like everything else I preach.
It takes the majority of safe kiters to draw a line and stick to it.
More details coming soon.

About meetings:
I am preparing a post to call some meeting(s) to bring together the ones who have been helping me, and the ones who want to move forward.
My goals aren't a secret and never have been, and begging for help has always been a part of it. We need everyone's help by giving this a chance.
I am taking my time on writing the post because I don't want it to be overwhelming or piss anyone off. (imagine THAT!) Theres a lot of things to be discussed, and I want to make sure that everythings covered so we can all just get back to riding and being friends again.
Thanks for reading.
Steve Sadler (813)389-3683