View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Accident at Matheson Hammock 5-26-08

I was kiting at Matheson way upwind yesterday. I was on an 8m and twin tip powered. I missed the accident that happened, but from what I heard, the rider was very lucky not to have been severly injured. It would be great if eye witnesses could post more information for us all to learn from this.

This is what I heard, whether it is fact is unsubstantiated at this point. Rider was launching in on shore winds. Winds were maybe 5 degrees from the right. The winds were gusty (NE at Matheson is gusty) and about 20 mph average. After launching, the kite looped and dragged the rider up the nasty rock "beach" (the beach has degraded down to the sharp limestone parking lot fill that is slowing eroding into the lagoon) and nearly into one of the parking blocks. The kite crashed into the parking lot, but relaunched... I hear that there might have been a bridle wrapped around a wingtip. It also sounds as though the rider did not use the quick release to get rid of the kite.

I hope that whoever it was is not too badly injured and that he has a speedy recovery. Thanks for anyone that posts with more information.

Todd