View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Unhappy

Todd, I was the second guy out that day at around 7 30 am, the incident happened around 11 am, the guy was only about 160 lbs and was trying to launch a 13m flat kite on nearly on shore winds, more experienced guys were coming back in for 9's and 10's. He seemed to be lined up correctly and I didn't see any wingtip tangle, I think it was just bad kite handling, the kite only got up about 15 feet and flopped over hard into the parking lot, and began to loop out of control. I ducked behind the first line of cars to save myself, it slammed down hard behind me but since it was still early the second line of cars had not filled in yet and did not hit anyone. The lines almost cut another kiters right ear off, by the time he got dragged up to the parking blocks he realized he should do something and let go if his bar and unhooked, I think he was about to let the kite go, when two other guys grabbed hold of him and prevented him from going into the cars. He packed up and left with a bloody right arm. Later I had to tell several other guys that they were lined up way to upwind and got them launched safely and then got the hell out of there. That is why I go early.

JP