Thread: Winter Kiting
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Nice post, just exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm from Santa Cruz, CA. and will be travelling to Florida (1 week in Orlando, 3 days in Fort Lauderdale). We don't have an exact travel date, but will be there in the winter season, so flexible time to set everything up for a decent kiting session there.

Tons of questions have probably been asked, sorry if I'm repeating the same questions. We will probably have to do some driving to get to the spots, so we don't mind driving, good for sightseeing as well.

1) Which spot is good for a flat water beginner? I'm an intermediate kiter from Santa Cruz. My wife is a newbie and I'm still teaching her (she won't ride if I'm not around to support her).

2) Which spot is good for a mellow wave kiting session? I would like to try and ride some of the friendly spots when my wife is too tired to kite.

3) Kite sizes, which kites to bring in the winter season? Will a 5 meter be too small and an 11 meter too big? We ride Caution Mayhem kites.

Me: 170 lbs. intermediate kiter, waves and flatwater
Wife: 120 lbs. beginner kiter

4) I'll probably end up buying a cheap used board there to avoid the airline hassles. What are my options for renting kite boards in the area?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Rey