View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Otto,

Peer pressure does work to some extent. In truth, this problem really has less to do with those that don't know the rules, and has more to do with showing off. To discourage lessons being taught in areas that are no acceptable, informing arriving students that the location is really not suitable for learning goes a long way. This has worked successfully in other areas for sure.

There is no beach on the Cswy. The sign is from the parks because they manage "permitted" activities (which kiteboarding is not), but the authority is under the D.O.T. The only reason that it took so long to enforce is that the rules come from the county, but enforcement is under the jurisdiction of the city. (Rick can probably speak to this more that I can.)

Additionally, how on earth do you propose that we would all ride "better"? I agree that if the marks were exclusion zones that prohibited all other activities other than wading and swimming we may have a foot to stand on, but the marks are "no motor" zones.

Why would our local government want to take on enforcement of this activity? They don't make a penny from it and it exposes them to potential liability? Our taxes only go so far and our actions thus far make us pretty unattractive.

A bit more friendly enforcement from local riders would have gone a long way toward education. It doesn't have to be as aggressive as surf breaks around the country, but it does have to exist at some level. I'm not sure that we really want to rely solely on our government deciding how and when to enforce safe riding guidelines.

Thus far, most of our local community acts like kiteboarding is a rite. We would all best be served if we recognize that it is actually a privilege.

If I thought that we could sell ourselves to management and prove that we would only use the cswy as a launching and landing zone to ride well offshore, I'd be right there with you. I just don't know how we could commit this to the authorities. I'm all open to good ideas that won't jeopardize our access to other locations and that won't focus the spot light on our sport any further.