View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am glad you were able to grab that forth day, I had to miss it. The Contra 14 m has the pull of a larger C kite, like all bow kites. I am not quite sure how large an equivalent C kite might be, 16 or 17 m. I tried putting 10 m line extensions on it the first day I used it. They didn't seem to make much difference which is strange. It may have been just too light.

Here's another story about riding in real light conditions with it on July 4th. On that day I had headed down to the usual launch with reasonable side onshore winds but not particularly strong winds. In time the winds lulled and the eight guys that had been out beached. I wind waited for a while, the wind freshened slightly so I headed out. I decided to do a downwinder to my home town about 8 miles downwind. I had been dropped off so it was an easy decision to make. The wind was light, to where no one else was out for the entire downwinder as far as I could tell. Despite the light wind, I was traveling FAST and unlike other kites I have used when running dead downwind, I didn't have to aggressively sine the kite. I could actually lock it in most of the time which made things a lot easier. When I tried to head out on a reach at times, I found I really didn't have enough wind for it, it was that light. Anyway, I made the trip in short order. The Contra does have some unusual properties.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi