View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Lost Kite event at Big Beach - Long Post

I was told during my kite lessons that everyone has the potential for a kite accident and to always practice the safety systems. I’m very glad I took the advice.
I'm writing this for advice and constructive criticism.
My wife daughter and I went to big beach this afternoon so I could do some kiting. I checked the wind and it was reading 16 with a max of 20. (Wind meter - gift from my wife.) I rigged up my 13 Best Waroo and my wife did an assisted launch. It was a little gusty once the kite was at 12 so I adjusted the de-power straps and flew the kite on the shore for a few minutes. I then got my board and walked into the water about chest deep. A guest hit me and I was lifted a few feet and then the kite fell straight down from 12. If fell about 10 to 15 feet and re-powered and I was lifted about 10 to 15 feet out of the water and I flew for a good 20 yards downwind. (I was so happy that I was in the water away from the beach.) The water impact was a bit hard and the kite dropped to the 10 position (off shore) and did 1 to 2 kite loops. I unhooked and the kite stayed at the 10 position. It didn't de-power. I was being pulled by the kite leash. I looked down to see the leash and the red steering line looped around my harness hook and the blue steering line wrapping around my left arm. I was pulled my leash safety with my right arm and stretched my left out so the line would clear my arm. Then I pulled the lines off the harness hooks and watch the kite fall into the water. I attempted to swim to the kite so I could deflate it but, it kept rolling over in the water and I couldn't keep up so I had to swim in. Needless to say a few people on the beach were a bit concerned. So I ran to the snack bar near the fort and informed the there was a kite in the water but, the kiter (Me) is fine. There is no need to call the coast guard. They were happy that I informed them and they let the rangers know. I then ran back to my wife and daughter (They are a bit pissed.) We packed up and went to North Beach and I spoke with the Rangers and the life guard supervisor. I told them there is a kite loose offshore and no one is in the water with it. I apologized profusely and they were very nice about it. The lifeguards spotted it about 3/4 of a mile offshore and moving slowly north.
I was wearing an impact vest and a helmet. The impact vest saved my butt and absorbed a hard hit. (This is where I thank John at WSW for telling me to get one a while back. THANKS) I did notice my helmet does have a nice scratch in it as well. I have no idea how it got there and I don't remember getting hit. I do know it didn't have one when I put it on at the beach. (I have been thanking my wife all afternoon for badgering me to get one.)
I know that someone did try and retrieve the kite but he was unable to locate it. I didn’t get his name but I know he was driving an orange jeep. Thanks for trying.
Robert