View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 AM

This will be another epic event! We will push hard in Miami to get 10-15 riders up to Jupiter for the event, but as you know Miamians aren't much for joining. For most down here it's more about talking about how good you are on the beach... Right Oliver!

I am hoping that they control the check point better this year. There must be a mark in the water and a staff on the beach. Riders should pass between the mark and the staff and NOT disboard as this can be dangerous and cause complications when 5-6 riders are coming in. The mark in the water needs to be at least 30 ft out from the low water line. This would allow riders to pass by quickly but also be recognized.

I personally would also like the start of the race to be an on the water start with a timed down wind start sequence. It was hard enough to get off the beach last year with 48 kites, this year with 100 plus there will be problems. The water start will be just as visual, but will also allow for a fair start. Those that are trying to win will be on the start line at GO and those just looking to ride can either start on the beach just up wind from the start or follow on the water behind. I'd just hate to see people taken out of the race by a wrap before it even starts.

For the start, I'm happy either way, but remember that last year the top 3 finished with in 1 minute of each other.

As far as the beach is concerned, it is a good idea to have the life guards have some influence, but it might also be nice to have a lead jet ski with the front pack. This ski can police and encourage racers to ride outside of the buoys. Additionally, it would be a great vantage point to film the front of the race. I'm sure that a good driver could stay ahead of the pack. At any rate it is just an idea.

Thanks again Neil. Can't wait to hit the water.

Kent