View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Red face First Impressions

Well now that I am a bonna fide back rolling kite surfer (I like the term kite surfer better than kiteboarder - but it really doesn't make a difference if you kite both flat water and waves?), I am addictied to the water and want to keep in shape through SUP when it is not windy.

HAS ANYONE TRIED KITING ON ONE OF THESE SUP BOARDS? Could you KS in 8 MPH wind on a small kite just because? I may try soon.

I searched brands and bought an 11' Oxbow and carbon paddle for $990 total. Jimmy Lewis seems about $400 more expensive when you bought your paddle. My board is light for such a big board.

I like the quality of my board. I have only used it five times and have not had the joy of riding a wave yet. I only catch flat morning water on the way to work on Anna Maria Island.

I freaking fall more than I would like to admit. Little waves can knock you off when you are new to it and not ready for them at a side angle. Anyway, I think I have decent surfing balance, but I will persevere. The SUP stance does need some getting used to.

So for the folks looking to get into it, beware it is not as cool as kite surfing or real surfing. You just have to take solace in knowing it is a good workout on the water!

Anyway, has anyone else had the same experience when they started SUP'ing?

G

Keep it real!