View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM

It seems to me that one of the best ways to get the message out about staying outside of the swim zones would be to take advantage of events on the beach, such as the kitemasters race, and point out the importance of staying outside the swim zones.
That race had 100 riders there listening.

During the last race, were riders told to stay outside of the swim zones or that they would get DQ'd? Was the message of how important respecting the swim zones is driven home?
Or did several riders go 30 knots/hr from Sand Key to SPB just ten yards from shore?

I am not knocking the riders who did this, or the race committee, because I consistently ride in the swim zones these days myself (along with a majority of SPB riders).
But, I am saying that if this stuff is really that important, there are ways to get that point across more effectively, especially during event functions along the Gulf.

To do the opposite and not stress it at a race, imo, pretty much shows no one cares - because that is the "real world" or actual practice in real life... not just an idealistic post.

If a rider participated in that event and saw people riding within the swim zones down the whole stretch of a long race, why wouldn't the rider practice that behavior after the event at the beach as well?

Not knocking Chris Moore or anyone, just pointing out what I think is obvious - that if the community really believes this "stay out the swim zone" stuff is important, it should probably be practiced, especially at events, not just given lip service on a forum.

I would imagine that an out of towner (if they were not told otherwise) in that race, the next time they came here, would ride as much as he wanted in the swim zones. After all, that is what he saw occur with his eyes.

I know it has directly effected myself and my decision to ride in the SZs.
I have read so much lip service on here from guys who claim to ride outside, only to see them ride in the very next day, that I just figured "screw it.. the waves are in there and I too am gonna have some fun".

Maybe such language and rules were stressed at the event and I am unaware. I don't do downwind races, so I wasn't there.
But, I didn't see anything in the rules about staying outside the SZs and heard quite a few were ripping really close to shore.

If that is indeed the case, it seems to me that guys going mach 2 that close to shore pose a much larger threat so someone in the water than me attempting to surf a wave going less than 12 knots.

Just some thoughts for discussion that might affect the wording and practice of future races in this area.

Again, I personally don't care too much about the swim zone stuff in the SPB area anymore.
I don't ride CLW and don't know the area.
But, if you guys are concerned about beach access and SZs, maybe the events should have stronger language and actions toward staying out of the swim zones. The events and what happens at them matter 100 times more than a forum post, imo.

And yep you guessed it, this is Scott.