View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM

I think your points are well taken by all, however, it all comes down to common sense and conditions.

As Chad stated, when its howling and cold, and no ones in the water, even the lifeguards of Clearwater realize that being inside the swim zone is not really effecting anyone. I have been told by lifeguards and park officials at Sand Key for example, that when its howling and nasty...have at it. And you know what, there are no swimmers in the water. Just a few surfers and I am always careful to give them space and not feel threatened. I too surf.

However, if it is gorgeous spring day, and a light breeze, that is an entirely different scenerio. Many folks will be in the water, and a wiser kiter should keep a safe distance. The other day I was getting whistled at Sand Key by a lifeguard and I was clearly outside the swim area. Its all good Mr. Lifeguard, I just kept going. You are doing your job.

I think in the race, if the conditions were of the latter, mention would have been made about swim zones and steering clear of water users. However, the conditions were nasty and cold and I for one only ran across 2 surfers along the entire route. I was actually surprised I didn't see more. Didn't see anyone else in the water. Not one swimmer and not to many on the beach for that matter.

Just to be clear, there are swim zones and no wake zones, and they are different IMO. Either way, care should be taken when riding the gulf and keeping a safe distance from swimmers and anyone else in the water wherever your riding.

For what it is worth, I felt more in jeopardy with the close proximity of other kiters out there than anything during the race. That was the first time in kiting, I didn't feel in control of the situation.

I can't speak for Chris, but if the weather conditions were bringing out the spring breakers, I am sure he would have mentioned something in the captains meeting. I am sure some boundaries would have been set. I support Chris' decision to leave it alone as it is a race, and a beautiful one at that.

And yes, this is Steve-O bringing another viewpoint to a touchy topic.