View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Default Down Wind Rules...

After following the poll and discussion on the other thread, I'm wondering what the organizers think about running along on the outside of the buoys? It is important to note that there is a huge advantage of running on the inside compared to the outside. I remember the Jupiter DW a few years back when the top few rode on the inside most of the way and the rule was not enforced. If you make the rule, enforce it. This is the responsibility of riders as well as organizers. I'd suggest that they are actually marks of the course and missing 1 would constitute riding the wrong course. I think you would need to make some provisions for the finish of course.

Question: are there buoys all of the way down the coast? i think that you have to be very careful to insure that the rule is not subjective because everyone will view it differently. If there are not buoys then the inside is ok, if there are, the stay out.

In general I think that using the marks would work, but you will have problems in onshore conditions like we almost had. Some riders will not be able to stay out and would be hesitant to tack to stay out. This needs to be addressed.