View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM

This just in from Ross...

www.cflsurf.com

Ross's Surf Forecast - Cocoa Beach to Indialantic: (Requires JavaScript)
Aug 21 (Fri PM) BIG SURF ALERT for Sat - That 3 feet of 15 second period swell at the 20 mile bouy this morning was giving us close to 6 foot faces at OCs by 10 AM.! So count on it being VERY BIG Saturday. The lines were coming down pretty fast, but there were some long rides to be had. High tide is around 10 AM Sat, but never mind the tide, that will just change how it breaks. Reports from Ft. Pierce said they were not getting much today. Down south should do a little better tomorrow. South Melb Beach was overhead as was OCs when I left at 2 PM. You will have to hunt for shoulders Sat and it is going to be VERY tough getting out on a longboard. Size drops off FAST Sunday, so get out there early. Sunday should be easier for us longboard folks.

By the way, the 20 mile buoy ranged 2.3 to 3.3 feet today and was giving us overhead surf. Tomorrow the 20 mile buoy is expected to range 7 to 8 feet. Surf will be HUGE not just big. I just want to be sure everyone understands tomorrow may be the biggest surf you have ever seem here. Give it repsect, it will be dangerous out there. And... expect some crowds. We had 30,330 visits so far today. That beats the previous record of 28,800 set during Hanah last year. And the day isn't over.

I have a huge respect for the ocean. Tomorrow is the real deal out there. I plan to wait for it to cool off a bit and hit it on Sunday. In wind terms it would be like going out in 40+knots. Not for everyone. Can't wait to see some video and pics of the biggest swell event to hit the entire East Coast in awhile. The who's of who of surfing will be on it for sure. Florence hit back in 2006 and it was off the charts.