View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Default Some plan to purposely get kiteboarding banned in FLL

So this is the deal and what I have found out.

There is a small group of younger kiteboarders in our area that have a plan. Their plan is to purposely get kiteboarding banned on all Ft. Lauderdale beaches!!! Their reasoning behind this is, that if kiting is banned know one will be legally allowed to kite in Ft. Lauderdale and that will keep everyone away but them. They feel they can dodge the authorities by launching in other areas and outrun the police.
This is a direct copy and paste email I received yesterday when investigating this serious problem:

"It was probably one of my buds around here. That my good friend in the pic though. Honestly XXXX, you are not going to get any good response from the kids here in Fort Lauderdale. The more beaches here that get "shut down" , the less the rules become. Everyone here sees it as this. If FTL beach is a no kite zone, then no one is on there toes ready to **** with kiters.... So for us/them kids, it's not really a problem. They will always be nice slicks infront of private hotels, down near our port, and other little secret spots."

"FTL kids see a ban to be a way to get the "kooks" away. Off the top of my head, riding here for the past 6 years, I can think of one kid that spoke up to his friends about "breaking the rules kiting" and that is because his dad kites. He knew that if it would be banned his dad wouldn't ride here anymore. As well as kids go, I dont think a ban will every stop them. I remember going through phases where kids would do downwinders just to get the ATVS to start chasing them, and watch them haul ass until the end of there jurisdiction. This kept happening over and over until finally a cop boat came out and slammed some kids.
Next cold front, everyone was back out."

On Sunday last, when Tiki Beach was temporarily closed down due to riders in the swim area, a group of kiters started just south of the inlet and rode all the way to Lauderdale Bye The Sea purposely through all the swim areas and in front of every life guard in their selfish quest to get our beaches banned.

When arriving in LBS they were confronted by another kiter who had words with them, their response was screw you, f-off and things like I am going away for a couple of years so I don't care, I will do whatever I want and have fun!

I am amazed that it has come to this and can't believe I am actually writing this. I need your support, these are all of our beaches my lively hood, Jesse from Liquids lively hood and it is time to come together and stop these few before the achieve their selfish goals.
Thanks for your support.....

Neil Hutchinson
Slingshot Sports
954-647-7228

Last edited by neil xrated; 03-26-2010 at 02:13 PM.