View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 10:17 AM
tomstock

It's similar to the one on the swivel bar:
http://media.bestkiteboarding.com/ma...r04_manual.pdf

The correct way is to run the loop from chicken loop through the loop of the depower rope and insert the pin.

The wrong way is to run the depower rope loop through the chicken loop's loop. If you do it this way, it will WORK FINE until it's under heavy load. When that happens, the head of the pin gets pulled into the gap between the loops, making it IMPOSSIBLE to pull.

I released my kite on light wind days regularly to test my release... but when I was being dragged and lofted under full load the pin set and the release did not work. I've tested this release since then and confirmed the results with 100% certainty. If you rig that release backwards it will not work under load. Thats why best has switched to a different release (except for the swivel bar because they haven't come up with a solution yet).

I heard from Al that Noel confirmed that others had problems with these too... if you have one get rid of it and get the new one from best. It's that 04 release that is the death machine. i'm willing to bet yours is rigged backwards RIGHT NOW! It's actually easier to rig it backwards than the right way!