View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 AM

it gets much easier if you use a directional board with straps. This allows you to use a smaller kite and to stand more upright on the board which keeps some pressure off the legs. rather than having to edge a twin tip the full time, you are riding the board more flat and using the fins to stay upwind.

60 miles is a challenge given that most of the time it will be on a single tack, but it can be tons of fun. you get tons of energy ripping down the coast dodging wave and trying to catch the guy on front of you. some race, some crusie for a personal challenge. I just like seeing that much coast and finding unique spots to ride.

the most important thing is to learn how to ride very broad (off the wind) as this is not a normal direction for most. to start many riders drop their kites quite a bit because they over ride their kites. at any rate, i actually found the tampa race to be more difficult when it was run in the gulf due to the fact that it is not run on my favored tack and the water was quite choppy during the first quarter of the race.

give it a go, it's a blast.