View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchxpress View Post
So Rick, What ARE the techniques for the static hold? Give us a quick course.

Frank
Hey Frank,

I thought it might be better if I responded to your question here. Anyway, the basic techniques for static apnea or holding your breath motionless with your face is immersed are fairly simple. Some guys off the street can achieve remarkable static breath hold durations simply by using some basic techniques. Of course to properly adapt it to dynamic apnea or breath hold while swimming and diving to depth takes quite a bit more learned technique, training and practice.

There is a serious problem in this however, accidental drowning UNLESS you learn and PRACTICE extensive safety procedures, sign detection in yourself, and symptoms in your buddy and other techniques. The process of improving your bottom time also disables some of the autonomic triggers to want to breathe. It is quite possible to stay submerged and blackout without extraordinary discomfort. This compels responsible divers to do it right. That is where proper training like FIT Divers comes into play. It is a package deal, merely practicing improved static apnea duration in the absence of training to properly deal with important safety issues is a real bad idea. It is not enough to learn this stuff yourself as you need a buddy trained and skilled in the same procedures to act as your safety in rotation on dives.

I strongly recommend looking into a good pro course like this if you are serious about trying to improve your free diving. Free diving can impart a high degree of accomplishment and satisfaction for participants. Also, it gives you something to do when the wind turns off.

http://www.divefit.com/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi