View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Thanks for listening and Roberto I know we have had our differences in the past, but it's nice to know we stand united about issues that are beyond running a business.

Steve Visnage
Actually no major "differences" really. Sorry if you felt that was the case. As for promoting the Skyway launches as training grounds - I've specifically discouraged this for anyone that takes lessons with me or asks about it. IMO, that instruction occurs there is simply a shameless, lazy, selfish and reckless form of self-promotion.

Again, you've made more good points which I support and agree with wholeheartedly so I'll try not to repeat what has already been said. I think protecting beach access (and generally safe kiting practice) starts with the first lessons and the influences the student has from day one...and hopefully that tempers attitudes as someone progresses from a "newbie" to a world class pro. Unfortunately this sport is stll so young that most people don't see the need for - or want - regulation. I would prefer self-regulation but in some cases it obviously doesn't work. It would be great if everyone used common sense, self restraint, and respected the safety and enjoyment that other people deserve...but it certainly is not a perfect world.

The Tampa Bay kite community should be very grateful for the relatively relaxed attitudes toward our sport - because just at the other end of Alligator Alley it's like a whole different world. I think that trying to get organized locally is a good thing, but also a double edged sword. Once you have regulation, even on an informal (non-mandated) level, then who enforces it, reports offenders, makes the judgements, doles out penalties...and what is to ensure that everyone respects the codes set by the group (which does not have any official authority)? Unfortunately there will always be the mavericks and ignorami that will screw it up. So in this case it's a real conundrum.

In principle I would support a well organized effort with the right leadership. At the same time I wish we could just continue without all the formalities ..but realize that might not be sustainable. I'll certainly try to stay aware of what develops and hope something good comes out of the effort.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas