View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Spring is in the air but so are kites and KITERS! So, some sharks are in the water, as long as they behave themselves live and let fly.

Tonight was a rare session, the kite was just the right size for the winds, this time a Waroo Pro 11 m with winds from around 20 to 24 kts.. There was a nice swell line about 250 ft. offshore great for ramping boosts off of. We were blasting a 1/4 mile down the breaker line and firing backup wind with the ENE to NE winds.

I saw one small spinner jump about 30 ft. away. If there had been more would have called it a day. Also saw one other in the water but viz. was no where as good as it was on Sunday when this thread was started. Anyway, it was an excellent session with nice jumps, great wave riding and no shark interactions, for me anyway.

Near the end of the session, a guy was jumping up and down and waving like crazy. Wasn't sure if he was communicating with me or not. He said that a shark had hit his surfboard, torn off some glass and bumped his foot. The foot looked OK and his board from a distance was missing a strip of glass along the nose. He was trying to call his friend in from about 250 ft. offshore with no success. Figuring statistically surfers are apparently more likely to have a bad shark encounter than kiters, in our area to date, I shot out and told the guy his friends woes and request.

The sun was setting, gold light was glancing off the swells and foam. It was a good time to get off the water with so many blacktips migrating through. The spinners may be moving through well into April, as long as they keep to themselves and the surfers, well enough. No way you would get me out there on a serving platter, uh surfboard. Don't get me wrong, kiters are still at risk. If they are in the water, they might as well be a hapless swimmer or surfer, so don't lose your board and hope a spinner doesn't lunge at moving targets, that is planing kiteboards!

Best part, there's more wind tomorrow in the forecast. Yeeha!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-21-2007 at 04:50 AM.