View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitergirl View Post
I am in Fort lauderdale this week from Seattle.The wind looks promising.
I had planned to do Marco island Sun since its west(and an awsome place to kite) but do I need to go that far? I am strong intermediate kiter. Would you travel or do hobbie or mathison beach? thanks in advance for your help.
Denise
For shoreside launches, Hobie is a popular one that can work for SW to WNW winds in Miami. There has been quite a legacy of kiter injury there so I would be sure to do a word search on here to learn more about conditions and precautions there.

Best bet in Miami with westerly winds is to take a sea taxi out to Stiltsville/Flats area. It is a lot closer and much larger than what Marco Island offers to folks in SE Florida. It costs but just like a dive charter, folks pay it for the better experience. Also, the Flats sometimes have weather closer to that of the upper Keys than mainland Miami area. This weekend if it is the case could provide some distinct advantages in terms of stronger winds http://www.srh.noaa.gov/key/cgi-bin/...ef+to+Craig+Ke

Most shoreside launches in SE Florida are poor launches for westerly winds. Either they are offshore (vast majority) or are excessively turbulent with rotor.

Marco isn't that far, just a couple of hours or less from Ft. Lauderdale but it is fairly small and rider pressure is threatening kiting access there. The area off Miami covers about 200 square miles.

If you do key word searches of the site for Hobie, Tigertail, Flats you should find quite a bit out about these various launches.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi