View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I hear you, one thing to always remember when kiting off an island ... is that you are kiting off an island! The land has boundaries and what is beyond that may be only water for a long distance. Wind can change and what was a windward shore can suddenly shift to an offshore boundary you may be hard pressed to reach under your own steam particularly with adverse currents. Currents can change or develop during a session particularly tidal currents. Anticipation and planning are key given that reacting to the problem once you've dropped yourself in it may not work out so well.

I always wear an impact vest so flotation is less of an issue for me. Also, the reflective tape on the vest can help rescuers see me at night. This can allow options along with strong swimming skills, that is assuming you are well enough to use them. Accidents happen and that may no longer be the case.

To answer your question, I would first try to avoid the problem knowing site layout, anticipating weather changes and avoiding trying to land on an offshore beach. Still, I screw up at times like everyone else.

I have had to deal with offshore conditions many times in the past, fortunately the distant past. In those cases the kite wouldn't stay flying and would keep stalling through land wind shadow effects. I setup for self-rescue immediately. If the wind is dead offshore, I know I can't readily sail back in so I slightly deflate the leading edge to reduce drag, grab a wing tip and start side stroking in to shore. In populous SE Florida, there can be a lot of boat traffic so staying with the kite can make sense particularly if sunset is hours away. Still if I was unable to drag the kite to shore and I was very confident I could make it in considering the impact vest, water conditions and my personal condition I might ditch the kite and swim in rather than stay with the kite. That is my choice, have dragged kite gear in over a couple of miles years back, am a strong swimmer. If folks are less certain about their chances they might do better staying with the kite, particularly if there is boat traffic in the area. This island was a special case, way out in the middle of no where with low odds of someone seeing the guy adrift.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi