View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
I agree with Scott's advice buy the best stuff from last year and don't get hyped.

I do think it makes a difference in which brand you buy though. I won't pimp a brand (so that the tread doesn't explode) but keep in mind that you want a kite that you can get your local shop to service and stand behind, and most importantly you want a kite that relaunches from the water easy. There are several that would be good choices ( most of what you have listed and at least one you don't have listed). There are a couple that would be not such good choices (try to avoid sitting on tree limbs and scratching yourself in public) remember you want a kite that you can relaunch with minimal effort.

When you take your lessons ask to try different kites during your different lessons. Make your choice based upon first hand experience not what you hear or read. Don't buy something you have not tried first.
Are most shops usually pretty liberal about people trying out kites or do the different brands have events where people can try their gear?