View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

To my knowledge there have been no fatalities involving flat kites yet.

I fear we may be in for some significant losses as people rediscover reality particularly in high and excessively gusty winds with flat kites.

Flat kites give an edge but you can be undone in many ways at the high end. I am disturbed by all the reports of sessions in 35 to 50 mph winds. I suspect a good part of this may be exaggeration of actual winds but people may still be lead on by such reports to have their own personal collisions against hard reality in time. I would say for any reported session about 35 mph, make damned sure about the wind speed you are reporting. If you are uncertain, say so!

NOTE: For every fatality there is reason to believe that there have been many more non-fatal but severe accidents.

The good news is that in avoiding a fatal accident you can readily avoid less severe injuries as well by the same practices.

It is a numbers game.

Poor practices won't necessarily get you killed or even injured. They just increase the odds of having a readily avoidable accident that may take you out permanently, or lay you up with a lingering disability or trash your gear and/or our access.

Kiting past a minimum level is EASY, just like steering an airplane. It takes a lot more than that to do it well over the long haul with reasonable safety for yourself, bystanders and the good of our

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi