View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John- View Post
jesus Rick did this just happen to you?

I need to show you the sand bag solo land/launch trick, it's really easy and works,,, and if it doesnt it just drags the sand bag down the beach.
Yes, sad but true, screwed up yet again. It has been many years since I've had a bad dragging while kiting. I've used holdfasts too since flat kites have been out. There is a number of ways they can let you down though. Some kites aren't that stable for instance. Another time, again first session with a new kite, I came in late and had to solo land. No worries, I had a proven holdfast nearby and just hooked the chicken loop up to it. Surprise, the retaining pin pulled out unlike all the previous flat kites I had done this with and the kite went flying off downwind. I took about five sprinting steps after it and tore the gastroc in my right leg. Was still tight from skiing. Whoops. Few single magic bullits when it comes to solo landing ALL flat kites. Techniques and response will differ among different kites and conditions to a degree.

For these and lots of other reasons, I have felt for a long time, it is a bad idea to try out a new, unfamiliar kite in strong conditions. Had I made yesterday's mistakes in strong conditions, good chance I would have been messed up big time. We were just talking about this last week. Input on this Marina?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi